RENOVATION OF ROOF – RENEWAL OF COVER
ROOF REHABILITATION OR RENOVATION – PREPARE YOUR ROOF FOR THE FUTURE
Buildings also change ownership over time. Thus, conversion and extension measures are often needed, especially when buildings are transmitted from generation to generation. Roofing modernization, rehabilitation, or renovation is a significant part of upgrading residential buildings in technical, energy, and visual terms, as well as long-term protection.
According to current estimates, there are more than 4 million single-family building roofs that need to be renovated. Some of these covers have simply aged and are no longer watertight due to wear or damage to the material.
Have you inherited or purchased an old building or do you want to upgrade your property to current technical standards? Does your building’s roof require rehabilitation or renovation? – Here you can discover some aspects to consider.
7 REASONS FOR REHABILITATION OR RENEWAL OF COVER
Roofs require renovation for very different reasons.
Technical and visual aspects can play an important role in this regard.
- Energy / thermal renovation – to save energy costs
- Repair of age-related damage to the roof – related to damage or leaks
- Attic conversion and expansion to enlarge existing space
- Visual renovation – eg when remodeling the entire house
- Damage due to extreme weather events – such as snow, hail, or storms
- Removal of physical defects that occur as a result of insufficient planning or incorrect execution – egg mold
- Installation of a solar or photovoltaic system
WHAT IS THE APPROACH TO TAKE WHEN REFURBISHING OR RENEWING ROOFS?
ROOF MAINTENANCE AND REHABILITATION
“The performance and longevity of ceramic tile coverings are strongly influenced by the type and frequency of maintenance actions and their articulation with careful rehabilitation actions.
In order to successfully carry out the maintenance and rehabilitation actions, it is necessary to foresee an inspection and diagnosis phase and to know its anomalies, as well as the main intervention strategies”.
MAIN COVERAGE REHABILITATION INTERVENTION STRATEGIES
– Elimination of anomalies;
– Elimination of causes;
– Concealment of anomalies;
– Protection against aggressive agents;
– Replacement of affected elements;
– Functional reinforcement.
It is essential that strategies are selected after an exhaustive survey of existing pathologies and a structured assessment of the most beneficial alternative to be adopted in each specific case.
PRINCIPLES AND CARE IN ANY REHABILITATION INTERVENTION
Extension of the intervention decided according to the situation (punctual, generalized, heterogeneous, or homogeneous);
– Architectural and constructive coherence, in particular in the face of shape changes;
– Reversibility of interventions;
– Preservation of identity;
– Promotion of a sustainability perspective;
– Calculation/dimensioning/verification of existing solutions or to be introduced;
– Description of work and materials in the appropriate technical text;
– Description of works with architectural design and/or construction;
– Description of the works with work execution schemes;
– References to specific technical documentation;
– Specialized workforce in the field in question;
– Whether or specific protection conditions for carrying out the work;
– Previous reflection on the advantages of the planned intervention, when unusual, in relation to current alternative solutions;
– Durability estimation and maintenance planning.
Similar to what has been said regarding maintenance strategies, and based on these principles and concerns, it is essential that rehabilitation interventions on roofs include the entire set of measures and techniques necessary for their success, understood in a broad sense, and result from a detailed project, supported by a careful survey and by the evaluation and diagnosis of both the structure and the cladding.
THE IDEAL MATERIAL FOR REHABILITATION OR RENOVATION WORK?
When selecting the material for the rehabilitation or renovation of your roof, it is necessary to ensure that the new roof material adapts to the character of the house.
The technical issues that must be taken into account are equally important:
ROOF RENOVATION, INCLUDING ROOF STRUCTURE
Almost complete flexibility and infinite choice, as the roof structure can be adapted to the material you prefer.
RENOVATION OF THE ENTIRE ROOF WITH THE RETENTION OF THE EXISTING ROOF STRUCTURE
What matters here is the flexibility in the tile’s adjustment range so that the new tile fits into the existing slats.
RENEWAL OF PARTIAL COVERAGE
In a partial renovation or connection to an existing surface, such as a neighbor’s roof, the priority is to know if the required tile model is still available and/or what alternatives are available.
WHAT MAKES CLAY AN EXTRAORDINARY BUILDING MATERIAL?
What benefits does ceramic tile renovation offer?
– Clay has a shelf life of over 50 years and is an investment for the future.
– Excellent structural and natural properties create a particularly pleasant indoor climate in the interiors of the house and provide protection – vapor permeable, fire-resistant, resistant to UV rays, and very high resistance to frost and humidity
– Ceramic tiles in combination with the accessories and line of components result in a great visual appeal and consistency in coverage.
RENOVATION OF ASBESTOS ROOFS
Clarification and support for the sensitive issue of asbestos.
Until now many homeowners have hesitated to deal with the renewal of an asbestos-contaminated roof. Many negative articles in the media have led to a great deal of uncertainty. Above all, the elimination of this problematic building material plays a decisive role in this process. Many homeowners associate this with incalculable costs and prefer not to take what they consider to be high risk.