Electricians: What Do You Do?
Have you ever wondered what the electrician’s role is? “ … What does the Electrician do? I want to start my professional career but I still have doubts… “.Probably you should, at some point in your career, have been questioned in this way, either by a young man who is about to start his career or even by a professional who is looking to change his profession.
But when we are questioned we are faced with self-questioning:
“ How can I put into words everything I do every day for all these years? “.
Being an Electrician is…
Much more to know how to change a shower resistance as our neighbors think, and how they think !!!
In some cases the professional in the electrical field observes that there is the possibility of starting a career as a self-employed person and it is really possible, I would say that it is quite easy.
Just don’t forget that starting an activity and being your own “boss” requires some special attention from you, in another article I tried to demonstrate five tips for you to become a successful Autonomous Electrician, if this is your intention it is worth checking out
THE ELECTRICIAN PROFESSION
The Electrician can basically follow three areas of activity: Building , Residential or Industrial and what we can say is that regardless of the chosen area, this professional will have the responsibility to perform tasks such as:
- Corrective / Preventive and Predictive Maintenance
- Elaboration of small projects
- Execution of installations
- Preparation of commercial proposals
- Inspection of facilities, etc.
If we were to list here the professional assignment of everything that the electrician in his various areas and segments does, he would write a gigantic text, the intention is to cover in a generic and transparent way so that it is possible to ask questions and help some of you in making decisions. the decision in choosing a profession that I see as a successful profession.
We can define Maintenance as follows:
Maintenance is the combination of all technical and administrative actions, including supervision, aimed at maintaining or replacing an item in a state in which it can perform a required function.
The electrical professional may be directed to the maintenance area and to be honest, the vast majority of professionals who decide to work in the industry decide to follow this area of operation (mainly due to the salary that is usually quite advantageous ).
Normally, to work as a maintenance electrician, the professional must have knowledge in Electrical Installations for the development of installations and infrastructure, for example, machine power networks, power distribution points, sockets, and lighting of a residence, among others.
Knowledge will also be required of this in Electrical Controls that will help you mainly in the industrial area where all the development of operating and automation logic is due to electrical controls but the professional in the Building or Residential area will also encounter electrical commands when performing maintenance of a water pumping system or home automation, among others.
Maintenance can be divided into three:
- Preventive Maintenance, where the objective is to inspect and carry out actions that keep the installation or equipment in operation, eliminating situations that may cause possible defects. From simple cleaning to the complete checking of connections on cables and connectors in general, they can include preventive maintenance.
- Predictive Maintenance, in this case, we are dealing with the maintenance with planning and monitoring of equipment and devices because in this case all or almost all devices are monitored according to their useful life and the replacement of these is due to this factor, for example, if a thermostat has a useful life of 20 thousand hours stipulated by the manufacturer, when it reaches this number of hours or an amount stipulated by the maintenance planner, the thermostat will be replaced regardless of whether it is working or not.
- Corrective Maintenance, this type of maintenance is much better known and it is not for less, it is about recovering the functioning of a device, equipment, or installation after it is defective, that is, repairing after it stopped working, if we observe, the most of the times that we have the need to intervene with corrective maintenance means that preventive and/or predictive maintenance has not been carried out correctly.
That the Electrician is not a designer you already know correct? But that does not mean that the electrician will not have to develop small projects, for example, dimensioning the starting of an electric motor or even the residential electrical installation.
The fact is that on a daily basis, whether a professional with a lot of experience or not, you will have to interact with sizing and projects to carry out installations and/or maintenance.
It is a fact that the electrical professional is very easy to provide services autonomously and can be considered very profitable, but many factors are taken into account when deciding to provide services, we recently published an article that contemplates how to develop a labor budget for the electrical installation of a home.
Note that your experience is valuable and few do the same service as you do, so value your work but prove to your client your technical skills and be transparent in drawing up a detailed budget, whether for the electrical installation of a residential installation or for the installation of a machine in the industrial environment.
In addition to carrying out installations, panel assemblies, and infrastructure, the Electrician must know how to inspect, carry out surveys on existing installations to check the safety and effectiveness of the devices, wiring, and equipment that contemplate the installation.
The Electrician has several areas of expertise, but it is a fact that this profession is and will always be very well requested, we can say that there is no automation to replace this workforce and it is without a doubt a profession that allows you to start an autonomous work. with a very, very low initial investment compared to other professions.
Another article on this blog that may interests you: